Friday, October 7, 2016

Return to Site

This will be the final post on my fabulous vacation with my daughter, Jennifer. When we returned to Uganda we had five days until she was to return to the US; plenty of time to allow her to see my home, hand wash her clothes, experience bucket bathes, and visit with a few of the people that have welcomed me into their community and have truly made my stay here rewarding.
Relaxing on my front porch. I have quite enjoyed growing a garden but honestly, if I had to survive on what I was able to harvest, as many of the locals do, I would be much thinner!
yams, sweet potatoes, beets, radishes, pumpkin, and basil
tomatoes, aloe, and beans... and Irish potatoes and onion way in the back but you can't really see those because it will be a few months yet until they are ready for eating
This, I believe, is gooseberry. Though all of the locals I have asked can't tell me the English name so I wouldn't swear to it. They call it toetoe (pronounced toe-toe so that is just how I spelled it, I haven't a clue as to the proper spelling). The kids love them and eat them when they are still green. I think they are quite tart and suspect if they would just leave them alone, they would ripen more and become sweet.
Pumpkin and radish leaves. Since coming to Uganda and growing my own garden, I have learned how many things you can eat the leaves of; pumpkin, radish, beets, sweet potatoes, yams, and celery. Before I only thought people ate the fruit/root/stalk of these plants. Now, I add some kind of green to every dinner I make.
Jen and I did a lot of walking around the tea estate to visit my friends. From this picture, my house is located on the right side of the clump of dark green trees that are at the very top, exact center of the scene.
Rock climbing near Teddy's house.
neices, nephews, neighbors... there were a lot kids running around and I'm not exactly sure who belonged to who
With Teddy and two of the kids. I just found out this week that the older one in the picture is her son. Apparently, she got pregnant back in high school and was too afraid to tell me, thought I would disapprove or something. After she had the child, she went back to school and finished while her mom looked after her son (the boy's father is not part of their life). I told her that sort of thing happened to girls all over the world and she should be proud that she finished school and is caring for her son. She is now 24, married, and about to have her second child. Her husband has accepted her son as his own so I think they will be fine.
With Teddy's brother, mother, and niece (heehee, or nephew... Jen and I were undecided on this, I thought they said the child's name was Judith but she thought they said Judas and honestly, unless you put a dress on some of these kids, you can't tell at that young age)

The whole group, such a nice family!
Jack Fruit. I've never seen this before so I don't think we have it in the States

It has a very sticky center so he is using banana leaves to wipe it away.

It kinda tastes like juicy fruit gum. The first few pieces are delicious, but it's super sweet and if you eat too much you get a bit nauseous. Of course, the kids love it and eat it like candy.

 Now, Jen is safely back in the US and I must get back to work. That is the end of my vacation pictures. I can't promise when the next post will come, or what the next topic will be, but until then, thanks for reading and sending all of the love and support my way. Eleven months and counting.





No comments:

Post a Comment